21.3.10

expectations

there is a world of difference between expectations and dreams. one dictates what one should do while the other merely describes what one would like to do. should is such an evil word. if one believes in free will, that individuals are capable of making independent choices and are therefore responsible for these choices, then one should (haha) be able to lead a life free from "should". for example:

- my child should do (insert medical specialty) versus i would like my child to do (insert medical specialty);

- my child should marry an asian guy versus i would like my child to marry an asian guy;

- i should pass this exam versus i would like to pass this exam;

- i should study more versus i would like to study more (who am i kidding here?);

- i/my partner should behave a certain way in our relationship versus i would like (my partner) to behave a certain way in our relationship;

- i should know what to do versus i would like to know what to do

... etc. let's all try to lead a life free from "should"!

No comments: