9.2.10

nights

freezing to death in the tiny on-call room, struggling to stay awake despite twenty-seven cups of coffee. the words on the computer screen swimming around, and after trying to put them together for the third time, i still have no idea what they mean. im supposed to be studying but its not working. only four hours to go before i can go home and have a beer at nine oclock in the morning.

the loudspeakers outside my door seems to be mumbling something. then my pager goes off. code blue in rehab c. great. out of all the wards in the hospital, of course it had to be the one furtherest away from me. i put on my shoes and run. but ive forgotten my stethoscope. turn back. whats the stupid door code again? run run huff puff chest pain. going through the als algorithm in my head, getting the hs but always forgetting the ts. oh its the same guy i reviewed yesterday: why is he still here? didnt the day team do anything? the subacute nurses fluff around. ivc, ecg, do my own obs, make some whimsical comment to lighten the atmosphere, a set of bloods, call a taxi to take them to the alfred, write some notes, inform the ao. only three hours to go before beer oclock.

sigh. at least im awake now.

No comments: