5.4.06

i hate emergency

the pros:
- i only work 40 hours a week
- all the skills that i'm learning
- i get to leave the arseholes behind at the end of my shift

the cons:
- the lack of continuity of care
- my screwed up sleep-wake cycle
- the arseholes that i meet at the start of my shift

the role of an emergency doctor can be summed in two questions:
1. is the patient sick?
- if so, proceed to question 2.
- if not, make some noises and get rid of them.
2. does the patient need to be admitted?
- if so, get the medical/surgical registrar/ECATT/O+G/paeds, do what needs to be done, and get rid of them.
- if not, give analgesia/antiemetics/rehydration/plaster, and get rid of them.

welcome to the medical meat grinder =(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The emergency of humanity's squalor

lookingfortrouble said...

Thanks. I think I'm now armed for my term..